Friday, October 26, 2007

Why a new blog?

I came up with the title of this blog some years ago. I have said for a long time that I would like to write a collection of fishing stories and title it "In Search of the Perfect Hot Dog." I arrived at this title during one of my fishing trips to the White Mountains in Arizona. The drive from my home in Benson, Arizona up to the mountains was a long one through a very sparsely populated part of the state. There weren't a lot of places to stop for something to eat along the drive, and gas station hot dogs were our only choice of sustenance on many occasions. While growing up in north central West Virginia, I had become spoiled with some of the best hot dogs I have ever eaten. As a result, I judge every hot dog against those that formed my opinion years ago. For the uninitiated, a good hot dog must be boiled and served in a steamed bun. It should have a generous amount of yellow mustard and a liberal amount of chopped yellow onions. But the most important part of the hot dog is the sauce. It is made with a hamburger and tomato sauce base, and can be prepared to varying degrees of hotness. It is not chili, it is hot dog sauce. I have enjoyed several styles of hot dogs, including a Chicago dog with pickles and tomatoes, but I always look forward to the hot dogs from Yann’s or Woody’s or T&L. I can’t eat the hot dogs from Yann’s as often as I would like any more because they are just too hot for my digestive tract, but the memory of the spicy goodness still warms my insides. This blog will be a collection of my hunting and fishing memories as I write them down. I’m sure that some of you have heard a few of them, but most of them will be fresh and previously untold. Please feel free to leave comments to let me know where you think they can be improved. I hope you enjoy them.

4 comments:

Karen said...

can't wait to hear more. I've never been one to like those dogs like you do. I could NEVER eat a Yann's unless I was trying to win some cash!

ShaggaBear (Linda) said...

I hope you tell about the goose. Or was it a duck?

Billy said...

I LOVE hot dogs! I also cannot eat them as much as I would like. They mess with my insides now. (probably because they are so nutritious) I like a dog roasted on an open fire, in a bun with a strip of ketchup on on each side and one strip of mustard down the middle. Then the options are sweet pickle relish or hot dog sauce.

I look forward to the stories!

Rachel said...

Wow...I have no idea about those hot dogs you mentioned. I must be deprived.